1885, "Map of Texas," Alvin Jewitt Johnson

   Home ] Up ]
 
 

 
Home
Up
 

 

 

"Map of Texas," Alvin Jewitt Johnson, A.J. Johnson and Co., New York, 1885. (Image: 12" wide x 8 3/4" high). This small, beautiful hand colored map is a copper plate engraving published for Johnson's Cyclopaedia by Alvin Jewitt Johnson. He was one of the most highly regarded and prolific American map makers of the 19th Century. Johnson (along with a partner, as "Johnson & Browning") first published maps, in Richmond, Virginia. around 1860. Johnson moved his company to New York with the outbreak of the Civil War and the new company became known as "Johnson & Ward." The company was later re-named Johnson & Son and Johnson and Co. The insets for this map are:  "Northern Part of Texas," and "Plan of Galveston Bay." This map also delineates the location of the U.S. Mail Route from El Paso to Fort Bellnap in Young County and thence to near Sherman in Grayson County. This map is in very good condition.

 

   

Copyright ® 2011