United States & Confederate States, 1864

   Home ] Up ]
 
 

 
Home
Up
 

 

 

"Map of the United States Showing the Boundaries of the Union and Confederate Geographical Divisions and Departments, June 30, 1864." Published c. 1891-1895. Engraved and lithographed by Julius Bien & Co., New York, 1891. (Image: 28" wide x 16 ½" high). United States Army, Bureau of Topographic Engineers. From "Atlas to Accompany the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies." Details: railroads, canals, State capitals, cities, towns, villages and forts. Grey tint shows the seceding states in 1864. Union Departments are shown with solid blue lines while Union Divisions are shown in blue dashes. Confederate Departments shown by red lines. This map also traces the route of the Butterfield (or Southern) Overland Mail, a semiweekly mail and passenger stage service of 2,795 miles from St. Louis, Missouri, and Memphis, Tennessee, across northern Texas to San Francisco The route was in service from 1858 to 1861. In Texas, the route ran west to east from El Paso (then known as Franklin): due east to Hueco Tanks, thirty miles; northeast to Pinery, fifty-six miles; twenty-four miles on to Delaware Springs; down Delaware Creek, almost to its junction with the Pecos River, and across the river to Pope's Camp, near the thirty-second parallel, forty miles; down the east side of the Pecos, to Emigrant Crossing, sixty-five miles; and fifty-five miles on to Horsehead Crossing. The trail then ran east-northeast to the headwaters of the Middle Concho River, seventy miles; slightly more northward through the vicinity of Carlsbad, Texas, to a camp or station, about thirty miles; to Grape Creek near the south line of present Coke County, twenty-two miles; to Fort Chadbourne in what is now Coke County. Then the route ran more to the north across Valley Creek, twelve miles; to Mountain Pass, sixteen miles; passed the route of the Texas and Pacific Railway, a mile west of the site of present Tye, to Fort Phantom Hill, thirty miles; to Smith's station, twelve miles; to Clear Fork station, twenty-six miles; to Franz's station, thirteen miles; and to Fort Belknap, twenty-two miles. From Fort Belknap the line turned eastward to Murphy's station (a site near present Graham), sixteen miles; to Jacksboro, nineteen miles; to Earhart's station, sixteen miles; to Davidson's station, twenty-four miles; to Gainesville, seventeen miles; to Diamond's station (one mile west of the site of present Whitesboro), fifteen miles; to Sherman, fifteen miles; and across the Red River at Colbert's Ferry, eight miles below Preston. The route was changed slightly from time to time. [data from Handbook of Texas Online]. Map has half inch fold line splits which will not be visible when framed.

 
 
 

   

Copyright ® 2011